Tuesday, October 13, 2009

One Year Ago Today

We weren't expecting you, Kade. No, not for another 4 1/2 weeks. Everything had been looking great at the last appointment with the midwife, and I was just starting to get the baby things out. In fact, the day before your unexpected arrival, I retrieved the bassinet from the attic, feeling glad I still had a little time to prepare for a new little person.

But the day before your birth, I did wonder why I wasn't feeling as much movement as usual. I knew that I could be a little on the "worried" side, so I tried to dismiss it. At 3 a.m. I was awakened by your big brother DJ. I am forever thankful! For that waking permitted me time to realize that something just might be wrong. Daddy and I hopped in the car with only our cell phones, thinking we'd be back after our fears were allayed.

I wasn't even awake for your birth. It was that urgent. The midwife, the surgeon, everyone said you had to come and it had to be immediately. Nine minutes after entering the surgery room, you made your appearance. But something wasn't right. You were white as a sheet, they tell me. Daddy was quite concerned, and they whisked you away.

I remember waking up and knowing there was a baby. I just wanted someone to tell me if it was a boy or a girl. I don't think I realized how serious things were until later. You wouldn't have made it, I was told over and over, if we hadn't come in when we did. Your hemo-globin was so low (3) and it would have kept dropping lower and lower. But I'm forever thankful for God's blessing that day. That I woke up. That I didn't dismiss it. That Kent said, "Let's go." I know that stories like this don't always have such a happy ending. I know that we don't deserve any blessing such as this, but I am thankful.



I'm thankful for your full recovery after 8 days at Children's Hospital.



I'm thankful for the many hours of holding you, singing to you, and feeding you.

I'm thankful that we've been blessed as parents to raise you to know your Creator.

I'm thankful for your life, your future, and your extra special Daddy.

I'm thankful that today you are smiling, laughing, standing, saying "mama" and "dada", signing "all done," playing "peek-a-boo," playing the piano, devouring new foods, cuddling lots, interacting with your brothers, hugging your sisters, making funny faces at the camera, and waking at 5 a.m. to cuddle some more!
God has been good, and today on your 1st birthday, I'm celebrating His goodness to us! Love you, Kade Aaron.

2 comments:

Kami said...

I had no idea that Kade had come early! What a very sweet story :) Happy Birthday sweet little boy!

Diana said...

What a touching story! Happy birthday to your little guy! Isn't it amazing how God orchestrates all the little details in life? He's so faithful!