Monday, September 21, 2009

Grape Jelly

If you get out on the trails around town, you'd be amazed how many wild grapes grow around here. They're very small and aren't that sweet, but they have a nice flavor nonetheless. Kent made grape juice with some of them. And I attempted to make some jelly using this...
Kent's mom helped me, and it was a good thing...because I'm not knowledgeable about canning. I barely remember anything from the two times I've done it in the past. However, I was quite pleased with how well these jellies set. Since the fruit I was using wasn't very sweet, the package directions did allow for the option of adding sugar or honey (anything from 0-3 cups). I did one with some added honey and another batch with some sugar (but not very much). They are very delicious and not extremely sweet - which I really enjoy.




3 comments:

Kami said...

I'm quite impressed Ms. Suzy Homemaker! :) You do so many things with your family that are so wonderful ... maybe I need to expand my horizons and be a little more like you! :)

Hoping your day is fabulous today!

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I have never seen the no sugar one, glad to hear it works. I will have to watch for it. I ussually use the low sugar one and really like it. Anna

Christy said...

Kami,

You are too funny. I wouldn't completely go to all the trouble of making jelly unless it actually sounds fun to you. :) You wouldn't believe all the grape stains that had to be washed off my counter.