Tuesday, March 8, 2011

DJ turned 9


The brothers get in on helping...as always it must involve tasting!








The birthday boy and friends celebrate in "firemen style"


DJ blows out all 9 candles...house afire.

Very fun gift from Grandpa Stacy and Grandma Carol

The cake...Playmobile pieces contributed by the boys, trees found in the cupboard from previous years, log cabin crafted by dad, design by mom.  So much fun.

Can it be?  Nine years old.  For some reason, this birthday has me feeling quite sentimental about DJ.  Every other birthday seemed right... still very little boy.  Nine just has the ring of growing up...of leaving little boyhood behind.  Don't get me wrong.  He's not all grown-up yet.  I savored a cuddling time today which he ended promptly after I kissed him too many times.  He was my first baby, even at 2.  My first little person to call me mom.  The first time I felt that unprecedented love that a mother feels for her child.  Even though I'm going to miss his littleness, I'm excited about watching him grow into a young man, with the prayer that he will walk in God's ways with a heart that draws near to our Father.

DJ Highlights

Likes to cook eggs for breakfast
Can't wait to go shooting at the indoor archery range
Asked Dad tonight if they could build a trap to catch a squirrel
Gets distracted from school work when using the dictionary :)
Knows more facts about animals than mom
Is memorizing James 1
Loves to keep recyclables even though mom tries to sneak them out of the house to the trash
Loves to chase his brothers and hold Cody
Is hearing mom read aloud a children's biography about Teddy Roosevelt
Is developing questions about his spiritual walk and future new birth
Is building a bike with Dad

No comments: