Friday, February 20, 2009

Yum, yummy bread

I've discovered a wonderful bread recipe for Oatmeal Sun Bread in a cookbook that features whole grain bakeries. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture, but if you like nutty, hearty bread, you'll enjoy this!

Oatmeal Sun Bread

Makes - 2 Loaves

Make sure you have:

3 cups warm water
1 Tbl. yeast
1/4 cup honey
3 cups hard whole wheat flour
1/3 cup rye flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup corn meal
1 Tbl. soy flour (I've never had this on hand so I skipped it)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
2 Tbl. safflower oil (I used canola)
1 Tbl. salt
3 more cups hard whole wheat flour

1. Dissolve the yeast in the water. Add the honey. Mix in the 3 cups whole wheat flour and beat 100 times (I think this is the reason the bread isn't super heavy) Let rise 20 minutes.

2. Add remaining ingredients, reserving 1 cup of the whole wheat flour. (Tonight I had to put extra in)

3. Knead the dough until it is elastic, adding the remaining flour only if necessary. Cover and let rise to double.

4. Punch down and shape into 2 loaves. Let rise to double again in oiled bread pans. I shaped mine into round loaves on a flat pan, brushed them with beaten egg yolk and sprinkled sunflower seeds on top. This gives them a nice brown, glossy? appearance.

5. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

2 comments:

In The Potter's Hands said...

That sounds good Christy. What is hard wheat flour though?

Christy said...

I think any whole wheat would do. I use winter red wheat that I grind. I'm not sure what hard wheat is, but it may be what I'm using. I discovered your blog from your comment! I love it.