Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Bread making

Homemade bread reminds me of being a kid. When I was about seven years old, I vividly remember my parents buying a Bosch mixer (basically a super duper mixer) and that was when homemade bread became a daily thing. We ate so much of it, my mom needed me to lighten the load...so she taught me not long after. It has only been the past couple years I've started making it again, and I haven't found a 100% whole wheat recipe that really works for me. If anyone knows of one that'd be great. I use about two parts wheat to one part white. It's actually pretty easy once you do it a few times. I just have to stay close to home for a few hours. Levi was utterly fascinated by the whole process. I managed to dump in a few cups of flour while I was holding him, but for the most part he was by my feet.


I almost always give a hunk of dough to DJ to do with as he likes. Several times he has recreated the "five loaves and two fish" (We use a raisin or peanut for the fish eyes). Today he made a "waffle" with a little help from a meat tenderizer tool! Then he spread honey and cinnamon over the top, garnished it with a few craisins and this was his pride and joy...as you can tell. What a goofy boy!

3 comments:

Katie said...

I have some wonderful bread-making recipes, but I don't know if it would be different with wheat flour. It isn't available here, or I would probably be asking for recipes too.
Your pictures with the oatmeal ordeal are hilarious.
And the Kents lego-creations are very impressive.

Betsy said...

Oh yum, that looks good!

Ang said...

Too cute. You have two of the cutest little boys and I am sure that you enjoy every moment. Oh and the bread does look good. Kind of a surprise to me for some reason. lol just kidding love you angie