Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A January Day

At 5:15 this morning, Kent helped push me out of bed (literally), and and I made it the the ladies' gym. He's so good to me...really!  Morning is hard for me.  I take a long time to wake up, but am feeling better when I exercise regularly!  I bundled up because it was 4 degrees!

We had these http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-pancakes/detail.aspx  (substituted whole wheat flour for the white four and used honey instead of brown sugar) this morning for breakfast.  I'm always looking for ways to use the pumpkin in our freezer, and it's so good for us, too.

We started school at 9:06 (I do notice because we're always shooting for 9) or so with our Bible time, reading from Keys for Kids and Character Sketches.  The morning consisted of math and language with DJ, a grumpy Cody who went down early for his nap, a quick phone conversation with my sister, a 5 minute piano lesson with Levi, a tracing book with Kade, a minute or two helping Malia with geometry, redoing Levi's bandaid, assuring him that he will heal, and making soup for lunch.  I rarely sit down and play the piano, but I did this morning because I was feeling frustrated with attitudes and grumpiness of my children. 

We had potato soup and toast for lunch, followed by smoothies.  We make them occasionally in our heavy-duty mixer, and today they had frozen berries and bananas, pineapple and an orange, some grape juice concentrate, two handfuls of fresh spinach, a chunk of cabbage, and a couple small handfuls of carrots.  The younger boys announced them to be the BEST, and I felt happy because we used up some fruit and ate a good amount of fresh veges.

After lunch we worked on thank-you cards for the grandparents, worked on teaching Cody that the markers were still off-limits, helped DJ write his speech for co-op, read books to the little boys before their quiet time, and journaled on my blog.  (I miss journaling and blogging).

2 comments:

Melissa said...

thanks for sharing your day!

Corene said...

I like the idea of playing piano when frustrated with the kids' attitudes :); wish I'd tried that yesterday....