Tuesday, August 17, 2010

This is how he came

I don't know about every other mother-to-be, but I read a lot during my pregnancy...about pregnancy, labor, development of baby, etc.  I have a stack of books by my bed, and even though I had been pregnant twice already, this time with Cody was no exception.  I still read.  I find birth fascinating.  I want to hear about other mother's births. I don't just want to know baby was born.  I love hearing about how it all happened.  Maybe I'm weird, but I know a few others just like me.  And I was so anxious to see how this time would turn out with Cody.  So I share our little story...August 5, 2010.

I woke up around 5:30 a.m. on Thursday morning and told Kent I had just had an uncomfortable contraction.  It didn't surprise me though.  For about 2 weeks I'd been having similar type contractions off and on.  A week ago I'd been told I was dilated to 2 cm.  Then the day before I was at 3 cm.  I knew things were happening, but they were long and drawn out compared to my first baby where nothing happened until the day of birth.  I had a few more uncomfortable contractions (around a half hour apart) when I decided to get up and take a shower...just in case.  I then had a break from contractions with one or two sporadic ones and decided I must not be in labor.  The little boys got up and I started fixing breakfast and then they started again around 8:30, fairly strong and intense.  Kent had me beep him on the phone (while he worked in the basement) every time I had one so he could write down and keep track.  They were painful enough that I had to lie down, which was very difficult in trying to change messy diapers, fix breakfast and dress little boys.  Contractions were coming between 6 and 9 minutes apart.

Finally, I called Kent around 9:20 and told him I couldn't do it by myself anymore and that I thought we were going to have to go soon.  He found me on the couch.  We called Tana up to watch the boys.  Levi said the cutest little prayer about baby and the hospital and something about baby getting lots of presents. :)  Kade laid his head on my belly and waved to baby.  DJ was so excited about getting to spend the day with a friend!

We drove 20 minutes or so to the hospital, arriving at 10:10, and Kent got a wheelchair for me.  I told him I could walk, but then a contraction hit and I was glad I could sit down.  A very nice nurse got me into a room and asked me if I thought I was in labor.  This was between contractions so I was nice and calm and told her that I thought I was.  Inwardly, I was a bit worried.  I felt like I was much further along than anyone thought, but I hate to be demanding or just end up being silly, so I kept quiet.  I changed into a gown (after Kent took one last picture of me) and started breathing through contractions.  They were painful enough that I couldn't really talk.  Finally, a nurse came in the room while I was in the middle of one.  She asked Kent, "So how long has she been like this?"  Suddenly, she seemed to spring into action, calling someone to come in, talking about the doctor coming, having me checked, etc.  I was dilated to 7 cm. and she said something like, "I think I might just be delivering this baby."  They started asking me about my birth plan and getting the room already. 

At this point, I think I mentally slowed down.  I didn't want to have the baby before my doctor arrived.  I also was struggling with the pain (back labor too, which I hadn't experienced before) and started feeling a little anxious about letting things move too quickly.  So I didn't go to a more upright position which was what I felt like doing.  For some reason, I just laid back on the bed and took each contraction, breathing through them and answering questions between.  I remember realizing that I had forgotten how painful labor was.  The saying really is true.  You do forget.  I had. 

Finally, the doctor arrived (not the doctor I had planned), and he told me they could break my water and let things progress, since that was the only thing keeping me from giving birth.  I had to think about it for a couple minutes and then decided to go ahead.  Kent thought it was a good idea, too, and he kept up the job of fanning me since I was breaking out in a sweat.

At this point, I knew I was going to have this baby and I realized the VBAC really was going to happen (vaginal birth after cesarean).  I kept thinking that very soon it would all be over, and we would know if we were having a boy or a girl.  But, WOW!  It was so intense, and I got to the point where I told the doctor that I actually felt like I wanted something for pain.  He told me I could start pushing and have it over very soon.  That was enough for me.  So at 12:23 I started pushing and at 12:30, we found ourselves with a little baby BOY!  All I could think was how glad I was to have it over and how happy I was to have a little boy (only with a slight chagrin that Kent and I only turn out boys).

The nurse that coached me was wonderful.  I wish I could have slowed things down a bit in those last seven minutes but I was really having trouble with the pain and wanted it over so badly.  Looking back, I know I was very blessed with a relatively quick and easy labor compared to so many others.  I don't know how I could have handled a much longer labor.

I got to cuddle Cody for quite some time and even nurse him before they weighed him and cleaned him up.  He was so alert and quite a voracious (the nurse's word) nurser.  I was quite surprised to hear that he was 8 1/2 pounds...which explains why my belly got so big towards the end.  I'm glad I didn't go to 40 weeks!

Kent and I spent quite some time admiring our new little Cody Joel.  I looked over and saw Kent praying, thanking God for a safe delivery.  I cried a couple times but mostly felt like smiling.  We started calling friends and family.  And I held our new little bundle for hours!

First time meeting their brother

They asked about his toes!

Levi said, "I love my baby Cody."

Tana was the only sister at home during this time.

DJ said he had hoped for a girl but I think he fell in love pretty quickly with Cody!

Two days old and headed home!


Andrea said...

How awesome Christy! I love reading birth stories...your story brings tears to my eyes :) I am very happy for you and your family. Welcome to you new bundle! :)

Ang said...

What a cutie! Congrats!

Esther said...

There are many who love reading birth stories. Glad you shared it with everyone. I want to hold him sooo bad.

Abbi said...

I am so glad you shared. I loved hearing how it happened. I think I may have felt a little overwhelmed arriving at the hospital when so far along in labor. We always went way to soon but getting there so late might be a little nervewracking too.

You looked very fresh and pretty right after delivery! Great job!

jlracine6 said...

I love birth stories too, so thank you for sharing! So happy all went well. Cody Joel is precious and we are thankful for him! Love you, Lisa

Janelle said...

I LOVE your birth story! How many csections did you have? I have had 2 and still dream of my 3rd being a VBAC. Finding a dr to agree to that will be tough though. I am so happy that it was such a quick birthing story!